Tuesday, September 24, 2013


Best Seared Steak

This is the last steak recipe you will ever need. Because the name says it all – it is simply the best. And even better, it is very simple to do. This is my go-to meal when I have been extra busy and home cooked meals have started to get boring. My family is always thrilled to hear it’s on the dinner menu. I know some of you are thinking “I can’t believe a nutritionist is eating steak!” Yes, I do eat red meat. But I do so moderately and thoughtfully. I choose grass-fed, pasture raised beef for two reasons. Pasture-raised beef has gotten more exercise and is therefore leaner and it will also be higher in omega-3 fats, which are heart healthy and lower in omega-6 fats, which can be pro-inflammatory. In sum, grass-fed beef will have a healthier fat profile than grain-fed beef. Red meat is also high in iron, zinc and the B-vitamins – all are important nutrients for growing children and especially for women.

Steaks, I prefer New York strips or Filets
1 tsp. Extra virgin Olive oil per steak, look for the words “first cold press” on the label
Quality salt and pepper

 Salt ( I use Kosher or sea salt) and pepper steak and allow it to rest at room temperature 30 minutes prior to cooking.

Heat skillet – Do NOT use a Teflon coated skillet (I prefer to use a cast iron) to high temperature for several minutes

Add oil when skillet is extremely hot (you should only be able to hold your hand above the pan for a few seconds if it is hot enough)

Add steak, it should sizzle wildly, now comes the hard part – don’t touch it! Let it develop nice crust on the outside. Reduce the temperature to medium-high for steaks that need to cook longer (medium- to medium-well)

 Sear 2- 4 minutes per side (depending on thickness and desired doneness).

Remove steak from heat and place on wire rack

 Allow it to rest for 5 minutes before serving.

Enjoy with a glass of red wine – the acid in the wine will help boost iron absorption!

No comments: